We are seeing a lot of innovation in the Blockchain technology applications and the use of distributed ledger. While each crypto and ICO launch is bringing in investments to the tune of millions of dollars, only a few of them can be called a real innovation. Have a look at these applications and services and decide for yourself:
- Certification System by Viant & the World Wild Fund for Nature to track shipment and food supply with an immutable, verifiable record and proof of the origin/source of food/fish till its journey on to your table. The service can be extended to oil & gas or medicine tracking etc.
- Hooter’s effort to re-brand itself as a Blockchain outfit. Chanticleer Holdings shaking hands with MobivityMind to launch Merit tokens as a reward program for its customers.
- Hyperledger Fabric (Walmart and IBM) applying blockchain to supply-chain process for food-safety etc.
- Everledger service recording over a million diamonds and gems to a blockchain to eliminate counterfeit stones. (Source)
- Kik (a messaging app) launched Kin cryptocurrency tokens to buy / sell stuff on the Kik app.
- Skedaddle embraced blockchain for providing a “Uber for Buses” service.
- Listia (a barter market) which had Listia credits system, launching an Ink protocol for smart contracts, payments etc with the XNK tokens.
- YouNow floated tokens, called Props, which can be used by viewers as gifts for the performers.
- Unikrn launching UnikoinGold tokens for esports betting (Source)
- RecordsKeepers a storage repository and Psi Phi Global offering crypto-lockers.
- Dubai’s bold announcement of ArabianChain, shifting paperwork to Block-chain powered governance.
- IndiaChain from Niti Aayog to setup India’s own block-chain network. (Source)
- GRNET, the national research and education network of Greece, working with blockchain R&D company IOHK to verify student diplomas on Cardano, a blockchain. (Source)
- IOTA, a blockchain solution called Tangle for IoT ecosystem (Source)
- And if you have not had it enough yet, here comes blockchain for Marijuana. (Source)
While we have opinions that some of the Blockchain technology applications listed above are real innovation and not just retrofitting of tokens, time will tell what the overall market decides.
Jagmeet Singh Hanspal is a Software Architect and has worked with various organizations like Ericsson, Juniper Networks, TranSwitch Semiconductors in the field of Telecommunications and Embedded Systems. His interests include Linux, Micro-controllers, Parallel Processing, Networks, Time Synchronization protocols, Data Visualization & Statistical analysis etc. You can connect with him on Linkedin