A good mechanic is not the one who only knows all the names of car parts by heart, and neither the one who charges his customers the least. To stand out as a good mechanic, one must have great communication skills, presence of mind and the quality to make someone feel comfortable about their vehicle being in any kind of mess. Here are some key points that one needs to look for while choosing the best mechanic for their automobile.
Qualities of a good mechanic
- Wide knowledge: Mechanics will never know what kind of a car, bus or truck they might have to repair the next moment. That is why it is very important that he/she has a wide spectrum of knowledge about different kinds of vehicles, how they function, and what are the types of damages that each may encounter. This also helps the mechanic to add to his stock of tools and machines so that he does not have to delay work due to unavailability of the same.
- Presence of mind: A good mechanic must have a strong presence of mind. He should be able to diagnose what is wrong with the vehicle and not have to wait for the customer to explain it to him. In most cases, the car owners are not even sure what the problem is and it is one clear sign of a good mechanic to use his wit, knowledge and skills to understand the type of problem that needs to be fixed.
- Communication skills: Even if a mechanic has a good grasp over various damages that he might have to repair, there is nothing more problematic than not being able to communicate it to his customers. Many people might not be aware of the different terms and phrases used by mechanics in general. It is the duty of a good mechanic to give his customers a clear picture about the damages in plain layman language.
- Efficiency: A good mechanic is necessarily an efficient who should be able to work and repair the damages properly and at the same time save time and resources. This helps him to reduce his personal cost and at the same time, charge low from the customer and still have the same margin of profit. Faster delivery of repaired vehicles reduces customer inconvenience.
- Experience: No matter how knowledgeable a mechanic is or how latest his set of tools is, there is nothing as important as experience. He might acquire a lot of skills and be a decent mechanic, but practice is what will make him perfect. He has to gather the experience with time. And more the experience more will be his confidence and better the quality of work.
How to find the best mechanic?
Most of us believe in the fact that the more a mechanic charges, the better will be his quality of work. This might lead us to hiring mechanics from huge companies that cost us a lot more compared to the local ones. However, a local mechanic who is dedicated to his work is always a better option, even with a smaller customer base. Thus, before hiring a mechanic, one must look around and ask his or her family friends for recommendations.
Another smart option is to look out for the mechanics that mostly deal with buses and cars. Approaching the bus owners will help to gather further information on their rates and work schedules. Before going for a new mechanic, it is advisable to find out who or which store has been into the business for a long time. Newspaper advertisements and any kind of mass media is helpful in gathering such information.